Thursday, September 11, 2008

Grandview Library uses blogs to encourage their students to write. These blogs are mainly just students writing about themselves. Students are advised to proof their work before posting and not all students do so. The reading is still enjoyable and the best part is that the students are writing. Students are not allowed to use their real names or post any pictures for their own safety and privacy but their are still graphics on the site to make it inviting to children. I have not been able to post any of the pictures because they won't allow me to, so I can't put an example of the cute pictures. I like this idea of blogging as a way of getting children to write. http://063dblog.learnerblogs.org/
http://www.deerlake.leon.k12.fl.us/Student%20Monthly%20Blog/Student%20Blog%201%2028%2008.pdf This blog is from Deerlake Middle School. It is basically a way for students to sound-off about changes they want with their school and some helpful tips for their peers. I really like this because the best way to know what to change about your school is to ask the students and this has the students actually responding to questions. I like the health and fitness tips on the blog. Most students in middle school are self-conscious and this segment is a great way for students to learn reliable information about their health. I also like the helpful hint at the bottom of the page about procrastination because everyone has issues with procrastination. This blog doesn't have any pictures or graphics on it but with middle school students, graphics may not really be necessary.

2 comments:

Jennifer Averitt said...

Great Job. I see the Deerlake blog link is a PDF (adobe reader), can you supply the actual blog link? Sometimes the way webpages are designed you can not download the pictures.

KML said...

I tried to get the actual link and it won't work... sorry. I hope this is okay.