Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Duke University- Center for Documentary Studies

I watched "Broken", a short documentary about HIV in South Africa. "Broken" shows a young girl being raped by her father and being denied help from her family since her family thinks she is lying about the incident. The main goal of this film is to stop the assaults that go on every day in South Africa and the assaults that increase the numbers of HIV/AIDS patients in South Africa. This was a very disturbing film but I feel that the things that tend to be most disturbing in life are the thing that need the most attention. The events that occur in this video are horrific and only show a glimpse of the horror that some children must endure. This behavior needs to stop and this film helps shed light on a very dark subject.
I also listened to "The South in Black and White". I prefer video pod casts to strictly audio pod casts and I really wish that there was some video footage to accompany this podcast. Duke University is holding a series of programs in a historic black church dealing with racism and southern culture and the influences of the two on the world. The programs will cover ideas, music, storytelling, and other things that contribute to Southern culture. The Duke lacrosse team cross burning was referenced several times in this podcast and seemed to be awkward. I really do wish though that this podcast had some video clips of the historic church and maybe some samples of the music and stories that this program would include.
I found both of these pod casts to be interesting but I do not know that either one would be appropriate in an elementary school classroom. However, I do think that as an individual and part of not only the community of the South but also the global community, both pod casts are beneficial to me and the enrichment of my own personal knowledge.